You are invited to a company, family or friend’s get together where everyone will be enjoying a cookout, potluck or other meal venue to share. Throughout the week of the event, talk at the water cooler, on the phone, via email, etc. constantly seems to come back to this event: what to bring, what to wear, who will be there, etc.
By now, you’re nervous about what to bring, wear and eat in front of everyone. You’re a “little” (or more) overweight and aren’t quite like everyone else going. At least that’s what you think...
You’re apprehensive. Sweat pants are probably out of the question, but nothing else is comfortable. Jeans are too tight, your shoes don’t shine any longer, your shirt doesn’t have all the buttons - -or won’t button up over your belly, ugh!
You’re anxious. Forget about health foods like veggies and dip. Who likes green stuff? Where’s the beef? What CAN you bring? What do you REALLY want to eat there?
You’re stressed- - to the max - - by Friday afternoon. But what the heck. You don your favorite BIG shirt over your elastic pants and hit the road with loads of “healthy” foods; sweet rice cereal treats (coated in chocolate and layered in peanut better), veggies (with a rich breaded coating and deep fried), your favorite cola and head out.
You arrive & run cross these annoying gems at the event:
- Lots of slim people are munching on eating carrots and celery. And there’s some kind of green oozy-stuff on crackers and some kind of no-meat burgers.
- Everything is set up for “skinny” ninnies. You can’t hardly squeeze past the food tables to get to the chairs. And forget about being comfortable. The chairs are tiny, flimsy, backless fabric stool-type things that might be great for little kids. But forget about larger adult rears….
- People look at you – in surprise – because, OK you admit, your website photo was from your high school says decades ago and at least 50-pounds ago…and they’re just now seeing you in-person first the first time or in years. Some even mention that, gosh, you’re a “little” heftier now, eh? (in a joking manner, of course).
- Unfeeling pencil-thin guests who make you want to PUKE and who are obviously oblivious or unconcerned with those around them, are openly discussing the latest “FAD” diets and exercise equipment on infomercials and wonder aloud why anyone can still be “FAT” today.
- The drunks at the party decide to become more obnoxious than usual and insult anyone there NOT ultra-thin.
Any number of the following happens:
You leave & stop along the way for your favorite candy bars and other assorted junk food.
You return home and binge in front of your favorite video, TV program or DVD. You sulk, get super depressed and change into your old, favorite sweats with the holes in them and seams ripping out.
You worry about obesity & your thoughts and actions may become intertwined with those relating to Anorexia, any number of the latest Dieting Fads, Child Obesity issues, Bulimia…
You decide to hide out for the rest of your life. No more parties or interactions with people any more. You think that life bites…